Bordering on the site of the celebrated National Ballet School
, the Radio City Condos has been lauded for its "mixed-use" architecture -- incorporating new, modern buildings in the neighbourhood while preserving the historic site.
The buildings sit on what was once the former site of CBC's English headquarters and broadcast tower, where our nation first heard its first radio transmission. This was also the home of Studio 7, the first television studios built in Toronto. CBC shows like "Wayne & Shuster," "Mr. Dressup," and "The Kids In The Hall" were produced at Studio 7. Once the CBC Broadcast Centre was opened in 1992, the site was no longer in use.
What is now the central courtyard was once the site of CBC's transmitter tower. Built in 1952, it was once the tallest structure in Canada at more than 150 metres. The first broadcast debuted on September 8, 1952. The transmitter was fully functioning until 1976, when all television transmitters were moved to the CN Tower.
In 2001, the Radio City Condos project was launched. As an homage to the historical site, the project was named after its neighbourhood roots. The design was careful to preserve the area's history and live harmoniously within its surroundings.